Background

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Back to the drawing (white) board again!

@Learning
I finished my Atomic Learning class at Valdosta State University.  I ended up with a high "A".  Atomic Learning is a great resource for  software training.  I learned a lot about wikis in my last tutorial.  I'm hoping to use this new found knowledge to enhance the GVS World Language Department's website.  I'd like it make it more used and useable as a resource to our teachers.
Wiki Tutorial Reflection




I'm eager to start my fall classes.  I'm taking:
  • ITED 8100 Theories, Models, and Perspectives of Instructional Technology-
    Survey and analysis of the theoretical perspectives change, communication, diffusion, system, learning, and instruction as applied in instructional technology.
  • ITED 8200 Instructional Design for Training and Education- Application of systematic design principles to address an identified need in a training or education
    context. This course includes problem identification, message design, instructional strategies, and learner characteristics.

Both look like very interesting courses and should inform my instruction at GVS.  I'm excited to get started in two weeks.


@GVS
I'm getting ready for the fall semester to start next week.  My course is set up and I've drafted a welcome presentation.  Student enrollment keeps going up.  I've been told to expect at least 80 students, possibly more.  I can't wait!

I have a few goals for the semester:
  • 80% passing rate
  • Want students to take Le Grand Concourse through AATF
  • Want to use TPRS in one synchronous session. 
  • Want to enhance the WL department website
@Athletics

We had a surprising outcome in our 3.5 USTA division.  After losing two matches, we still ended up with the best record and won the division.  It was a very competitive division and we had a great season.  The fence sign is already up :)!

As division winners, we are in the city playoff bracket.  We had a GRUELING first round versus the ladies from Sugar Creek. They were very aggressive and consistent players.  We managed to win three lines, but it came down to line three doubles.  My partner and I played three sets in burning hot temperatures.  We took the line, 4-6, 7-6, 6-4.  I played really well and enjoyed every second of the competition.


We play at Old Atlanta Racquet Club this Sunday in the quarter finals.  We have a very strong line up and I think we can take at least three lines.  We're likely to face Central Park, from our division, in the semi-finals.  All of us are shooting for cities in the hope that we can make another run at the state title.  Great stuff!

@Home
We finally finished Trey's playground.  I still need to mulch the play area, but he's already started going down the slide and playing on the swings.  I am hoping it gets him outside more often.

Trey's swimming and tennis are coming along nicely.  Trey can swim a full length of our 25 yard pool without any assistance.  I'm hoping to get him on swim team at the new Cumming Aquatic Center next summer.  He's part of a proud swimming legacy.  I hope that he loves it as much as I always have.   Trey's swing is also progressing.  He's been taking lessons with Zenda Greibenow for most of the summer.  He can hit a forehand and backhand and rally a little.  I am working to put together an 8 and under league in Hampton.  I think the kids would really enjoy playing matches.

After a great summer, Trey is ready to head back to school on Thursday next week.  He'll be starting first grade.  I know that he loves school and will enjoy his new class.  There will be a lot of familiar faces on the bus this fall.  Three boys in our side of the neighborhood start kindergarten.  Trey is excited to be the "big kid".  I can hardly believe my little man is beginning first grade.  Time flies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?