Background

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Giddy up!

@Learning
So as it turns out, I'm taking three courses this fall:  two at Valdosta State and one at Pioneer RESA.  

The Pioneer RESA course is the last of three to earn my on-line teaching certification.  The focus is a project to create an online lessson.  I think I might try to use Moodle as it is open source and free.  It's definitely a tool that I can use.  I'll look forward to learning more about it.


My Valdosta classes are excellent.  I'm really enjoying being a student again, although the experience has definately changed.  I bought both my text books on-line:  one from Barnes and Noble via Nook Study and one from eCampus.  Both have awesome note taking and highlighting features that can be exported or printed out.  I could have really used these tools in some of my econ theory classes back at Bucknell!


I'm learning about the domains of the Instructional Technology field.  DDUME- Design, Development, Utlization, Management, and Evaluation.  I'm particularly interested in the sub-domains of design and evaluation.  Problem analysis, the foundation of course design, is fascinating and something that will truly benefit my work at Georgia Vitual.  I also find value in learning about how to evaluate resources and programs.  Good stuff!  I love theories!


@GVS
I'm so psyched to have my largest enrollment ever!  I've been fluctuating between 80-85 students in two different courses, French 2a and French 2b.  Previously, my largest enrollment was 45.  I'm dealing well with the increase.  So far, the majority of students are on schedule, learning, and succeeding.   We have had a few technology bumps, but I think we're on the straight and narrow now.  

There are so many factors that can hinder student access.  Some students are using Internet Explorer which doesn't support all of the features of the D2L learning management system that we use.  It also seems to cause problems with the Softchalk presentation software used in my course to present materials.  Thus, I've had to campaign that all student use Mozilla Firefox and ensure that they have the latest version.  Add to this issue that most student do not have the authority to install or update software.  So, we have to involve the school technology professional.  This is a pretty good example of some of the challenges my students and I face throughout the semester.  It's not just the academics!



@Sports
I can't be disappointed.  My USTA 3.5 team won their division this summer.  We went all the way to the city semi-finals before losing to a team that we beat during the regular season.  I can't help but note that someone from our division has made it to the semis every season.  We play some good tennis and keep getting better.


We started practice for the ALTA season.  We're playing A7 again (ouch!).  Matches start in two weeks.  Looking forward to improving my game!


I think a broke my little toe on my right foot.  It hurts when I walk barefoot, but I'm fine in hard soled shoes.  I have not attempted to run this week and am falling behind my training schedule.  Even if it hurst, I've gotta run this week.  My goal is to get in 20 miles.


@Home
Trey has started back at school.  We're still getting used to the schedule.  He was such an early riser this summer.  Now, he's exhausted and we have to drag him out of bed.  We'll get used to it.


We're going to be busy and have some fun this fall.  Trey will be playing little league baseball for the first time.  We are all really looking forward to cheering him on and watching him play.  He's also asked to sign up for Cub Scouts.  He's going to look so cute in that uniform.  I think he'll love it.  
With his activities, my tennis and Davin's tennis, we'll be busy every night of the week.  Giddy up!  It's on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?