Background

Friday, July 15, 2011

Beach bum!

I headed out to Myrtle this week for fun, sun, and tennis with the family.  In this virtual world, you don't get (nor do you really want) a break from teaching and learning.  I was able to catch up with the blogs I follow using my Google Reader app and my Android phone.  I used the wireless internet to complete and submit a reflection to my online EdS course.  I even cracked open Water for Elephants using the Barnes and Noble Nook Android app for my phone.  In fact, I drafted this blog post using the Blogger app on my phone.  What an amazing time that we live in!

Want to stay productive (or not so much...)?  Here are ten FREE apps to take to the beach with you:
  1. Google Reader -collects your RSS feeds to your phone
  2. Google Docs -mobile apps let's you read and edit documents.  Using Word?  You can easily upload your document to Google Docs and use your phone to edit and share.
  3. Blogger -allows you to compose and edit your Blogger posts.
  4. Hootsuite -collects all your social media to one interface.  I can read and post to multiple Twitter and Facebook accounts from one place.
  5. Pandora -stream digital radio and music to your phone for free
  6. The Weather Channel -check the weather and forecast anytime, anywhere
  7. Nook -read your e-books on your phone
  8. Google Voice -have voicemail sent as text to your phone.  Then listen or text replies.  Can even forward calls from any nimber to your cell or Google Voicemail.  Did I mentions it's free?
  9. Google Maps -use the places feature to find top rated local restaurants and other activities.  Read user ratings to find the best of the beach!  We used this app to find Dagwood's Deli in downtown Myrtle.  What a find!
  10. Wordle -spelling and reading game that the entire family can play together at the pool, in the restaurant or in the car.  Great way to build vocabulary.  Comes in international versions in other languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?