Background

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Gobble-gobble...Do You Speak Password?

I am writing to you from the great state of Pennsylvania.  I am visiting with family, some of whom I have not seen in three years. 
  It is amazing how the young ones seems to change so drastically while we more mature folks seem to be "stable". In our demeanor and physical appearance.  The college kids are smarter, taller, and more reluctant to hang out unless it involves a free meal.  The young ones, if they stop long enough, appear to develop into little people before your very eyes.  Needless to say, it was worth the 11 hour drive to be with the ones I love.

Oddly, I seem to have become my families personal technology consultant.  They all want to know what tools I am using and demand that I install the best apps on their i-phones...etc.  In fact, I spent most of the day migrating my mother's phone contacts from her defunct 4s to the replacement from Apple.  Her personal network is a mass of forgettable passwords and identities that have locked her out.  What a "web" we weave.

This got me thinking about web security and password management.  I started by defining "password management."  What is it?  How does it work?  What tools perform this task?  I have a useful article on Wikipedia:  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_manager. It seems that a web based tool would work best for my mother.  She uses many tools including a laptop, an I pad, and an i-phone (pretty hip for a 65 year old!.


Next I started to investigate products.  I found a PC magazine article on top rated website management tools:  http://mobile.pcmag.com/device2/article.php?CALL_URL=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2381432,00.asp.  I'll be trying out the free (because we like free) password management app called lastpass: http://lastpass.com/.  I will post my review after we use it for a while.

1 comment:

  1. My husband uses lastpass and seems to like it.- Tara Ingle

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?